This is such an exciting time of year with Christmas and New Year’s right around the corner. New Year’s is a time to re-evaluate yourself, your life, your goals, and dive head first into a new beginning.
My birthday is on New Year’s Eve, so not only do I get a new beginning for a new year, but I also get a new beginning for a new (wiser) age. A sort of double new beginning, I suppose.
This year I’ll be 31. I loved my 30th year – it was full of travels, love, new experiences, and growth. And I can only hope that my 31st year will be full of the same, but in different ways.
When I turned 30, I told myself that it was going to be the best year yet. And I’m telling myself that for my 31st year too.
When I was younger, my resolutions were superficial… always aimed towards losing weight, becoming smaller. I’m cringing just thinking about those lame resolutions.
In 2017, I am determined to:
- Travel, travel, travel. I want to travel as far and as often as I can. Make new memories, meet new people, experience the beauty of this captivating planet, and expose my curious babies to this majestic world.
- Experience. Everything. The good and the bad. The successes and the failures. I want it all. My appetite for experience in 2017 is insatiable.
- Go to grad school. I’ve applied and been accepted. Now, I just have to buckle down and go for it. And I will.
- Write. I’m going to write for myself every day. I want to expand my writing skills and the only way to do that is to… write.
- Live simply. Rid my house of everything that is not useful. Clothes, things in my kitchen, living room, and bedroom, kids’ clothes and toys. Living more simply will help me be successful in the other 4 resolutions above.
Nothing about my resolutions involve getting smaller, like in past years. In fact, my resolutions this year are all about expanding and getting bigger – bigger voice, bigger memory bank, bigger education, and bigger existence.
This is going to be the year of BIG.